Coming Up With Western Literature Research Paper Topics
When studying about Western literature, you will almost certainly be required to write an essay at some point. One of the great things about Western literature is that it covers such a wide range of different topics. For example, you can talk about English literature, French literature, Irish literature, American literature, or literature from a wide range of other Western countries. Furthermore, it covers a wide range of time and, therefore, you can pick a topic from one of a number of different eras.
Selecting a topic to write about
It may be that you are currently studying about a particular aspect of Western literature and, as a result, you may already have a rough idea of what kind of thing you wish to write about, and it might simply be the case that you need to narrow down a title. Alternatively, if you have been asked to write an essay about Western literature, but not been given any particular era, author, genre, or piece of work to write about, then you will first need to identify what aspect of Western literature you wish to base your work on.
Whether you are trying to think of a broad topic to write about, or a more specific title to use for your paper, using brainstorming techniques can help to narrow down any ideas that you may have. In the first place, brainstorming techniques are great at giving you the inspiration you need to think of relevant ideas. Once you have a few ideas written down, you can then start to look at the pros and cons of each idea that you have thought of, so as to keep or discard any of the ideas that you like or dislike, before you narrow them down towards a final decision. For some ideas to get you started, take a look at the topics below.
- Compare and contrast Finnish and Swedish literature
- Evaluate the theme of sexuality in Billy Budd
- An in depth study into the life and work of Miles Franklin
- A history of Western literature
- The role of feminism in Western literature
- What influence did the Second World War have on Western literature?
- The influence of French literature on European literature as a whole
- What role has Latin had on Western literature?
- An examination of the four Irish Nobel prize winners in the field of literature
- An analysis of Roddy Doyle and how he has influenced modern Irish literature, as well as the impact that he has had on the rest of the world